[Coco] CoCo 1/2 arrow keys versus CoCo 3 arrow keys

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Wed Jan 11 21:31:16 EST 2023

> On Jan 11, 2023, at 6:05 PM, Mark via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
>
> Our first computer was the TRS-80 Model I, with the cursor keys on the left and right like the CoCo 1/2. So after many, many hours playing games with that layout, it became natural for me. Eventually my father bought me a Coco 1, so that layout was perfect.
>
> Ever since "graduating" to a PC, I have never been anywhere near as proficient using the clustered arrow keys, even to this day. And sadly, on a lot of laptops and compact keyboards, the arrow keys are an afterthought...

The same is true for many of us that grew up with arcades and Atari — we had joysticks!  But the later generation was fine with smashing a pad like NES, Sega, etc. adopted. To this date, I still play much better with an actual joystick. The others are just used to it because that’s what they used the most.

The two handed keyboard approach on the TRS-80s was easier for me, too. There was that slight learning curve with one hand doing one direction versus the other, then it seemed much more efficient.

For machines without arrow keys, WASD was normal — for left handers. Then the arrow keys were the same type of shape but on the right. Which is it? Left or right handed? Folks use whatever they are used to, and learn it.

Arcade games, which I play sometimes at a retro bar-cade, are interesting to me. On games with a joystick then button(s) to the right, that’s how I play — left handed. Some games are the opposite, and you use right handed joystick. I play those fine because that’s how that game has always been.

Then there are some games with a center joystick, and button on left or right that do the same. I find myself trying both to remember which one I like better :)

--
Allen Huffman - PO Box 7634 - Urbandale IA 50323 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT only)
http://www.subethasoftware.com - https://www.facebook.com/subethasoftware