[Coco] Wordprocessor

farna at amc-mag.com farna at amc-mag.com
Mon Jan 9 07:50:03 EST 2023

Rick, that was so long ago I can't really say. I do remember that I
printed in two columns though, couldn't say how many characters each
(probably around 30). Now that you mention it, I think I recall your
column as requiring very little editing to fit the space. Probably
because you noted the column width and formatted accordingly. I can't
recall if we spoke about that or not, but either way it made life a
little easier for me! Seems like I remember mentioning to someone that
sending things like program listings already formatted for the column
width made life so much easier by preventing unintended mistakes due to
me reformatting, but I may have mentioned that to everyone who sent in a
listing of some sort. I occasionally altered column width to better
accommodate a listing -- making a text box narrower was easy.

A true page layout program is so much easier than using a word processor
or graphics program to create a newsletter/magazine/book!! A WP has too
few functions for layout, a graphics program (like Adobe Indesign forced
on PageMaker users) has way too many functions and is much harder to
learn. I use PageStream now. Have used it on Linux, but succumbed to the
Windows version a couple years ago after having issues getting it
running again after a Linux upgrade. The issue was where files were
placed/expected, but wasn't easy to figure out, even those in the
community couldn't help much. I'd fixed that issue several years before,
but couldn't locate my notes either. Wife uses "my" computer also and
wasn't fond of Linux -- only because she had to use Windows at work,
preferred something familiar rather than having to learn something
different for occasional use at home. That's not unreasonable, so when I
upgraded computers the last time I just switched. Versions of PageStream
for both, and a Mac version as well, and price is reasonable. Works very
similar to the old PageMaker to boot!

Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 18:17:22 -0600
 From: Patrick Ulland <rickulland1 at gmail.com>

Interesting. Most of the content I sent you was pre-formatted in
dynastar, the $very $expensive wordstar clone still? available in EOU
today (ds,df,spell, but it's complicated).? Ever notice I was writing
towards a column width?

-ricku

'Operating System Nine'