[Coco] Questions about CoCoSDC

Rob Rosenbrock bester at adamswells.com
Thu Feb 2 16:41:06 EST 2023

I just got the CoCoSDC, and I have a few questions

Flash ROM. There is room for 8 cartridges in the internal flash, two of which are used by SBD DOS and RSDOS. I see where there is a utility for updating the SBD DOS image, but what version of RSDOS is installed? A correct image file? I hesitate to flash an image if there’s a chance I’ll brick it.

Y Cable. I’ve seen it said that I can connect a FDC alongside the SDC using a Y cable provided that I remove the ROM from it. (I’ve never had an MPI) Anyone know if the J&M controllers have any issues? I have the original controller and I know that there is a slight change to make it compatible with the CoCo 3.

DSK images. I have found Imgtool and Wimgtool from MESS that can be used to work with the disk images, but it looks like all work on them stopped once MAME and MESS merged. Wimgtool looks like a nice utility for working with the disk images, but it lacks a means to export the directory. I can do what I want with imgtool, but I’d like to see something that works a bit easier. Currently I have to drop to a command line, issue a dir command piped to a text file, and then edit the text file. If there isn’t a better utility, is there a documentation of the file format? The dsk extension is too overused to find anything helpful from search engines.