[Coco] Cross-platform editor for CoCo BASIC?

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 04:32:20 EST 2023

2023年2月1日(水) 13:06 Mark via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com>:

> On 1/02/2023 2:50 am, Allen Huffman via Coco wrote:
>
> > I’ve seen
> > at least two examples of editors that allow writing in a more modern
> > looking “language” and then export to BASIC. I think one was
> > Windows-only, and I don’t recall the second.
>
> I would be interested in this too. I'm currently trying to introduce my
> almost-8yo son to programming, using BASIC on the CoCo3. But after years
> of using high resolution displays and modern editors, trying to program
> in BASIC on the 32x16 CoCo is painful to say the least. And taking into
> account line numbering as I code is a 'skill' that I haven't had to rely
> on for probably 40 years now...

Don't look at it like he's going to know what a pain it is. He's gonna be
happy to have a nice calculator that he can teach tricks to.

Or, if you don't want him to develop bad habits, I have a Forth dialect
that works pretty well on the CoCo. Post-fix and other things they don't
teach at school will require a lot of being there for him while he
discovers how much bigger the world is than they teach at school.