[Coco] Passing of Steve Bjork, Computer Gaming Pioneer and CoCo Developer

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Wed Dec 20 10:36:08 EST 2023

> On Dec 19, 2023, at 8:27 PM, Aaron Wolfe via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
>
> When I was 8 or 9 years old we got our first Coco, a big battleship grey
> original coco 1 upgraded by my father with the "half bad" ram that wasn't
> half bad, I forget the details.

Ah, that rings a bell. When I bought my first CoCo 1, it was an RS salesman that helped me out — bought it with his discount and upgraded it to 64K. BUT, I found out a year or two later that it could not access the upper 64K. I had to order an upgrade that was a chip with some wires off it or something. That enabled getting to the upper 32K.

I think that was the original 32K - 64K upgrade. They just started putting 64K in it, but the system was not wired to access it.

I know Bjork did a ton of hardware mods on his own systems. I would have loved to have seen what all he had for his PC-repack development system that was stolen. That Model 3 repack was interesting looking, in the listing.

		— A