[Coco] MC6829 Memory Management Unit

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed Oct 12 05:56:41 EDT 2022

On 10/12/22 03:21, Jeff Teunissen via Coco wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 12:19 AM Walter ZAMBOTTI via Coco
> <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
>>   From what I can tell from the my brief reading of the manual the device
>> works in a similar way to the GIME MMU except
>>
>> it supports up to 2 megabytes,  2K block sizes and 4 tasks.
>>
>>             Max Mem  Block Size Tasks
>>
>> GIME       512MB     8K           2
>>
>> 6829     2048MB     2K           4
>>

>> The smaller 2K block size makes that quite attractive.
>>
>> However since OS9 is written for 8x8k pages the MMU register structure
>> would need to be enlarged to cater for 32x2k, if it is not already reserved.
> OS-9 Level II was not only written for 8x8K pages, it ran on many
> machines -- most of which had 2K (like GIMIX) or 4K (like CMS) page
> sizes. The CoCo is the only oddball machine using the giant 8K pages.
>
> And while those machines above did not use the 6829, they implemented
> a lot of the interfaces introduced by it -- such as the "Fuse
> register".
>
> On the Discord server over 6 months, I and a few others put together a
> new MMU design (addressing 4MB in 2K blocks, with 256 'tasks' and
> protected memory) influenced by the 6829, as well as the GIMIX CPU III
> and CMS 9829 CPU boards, to be implemented in FPGA. And when the FPGA
> hobbyist chip drought is over, we hope to get the designs implemented
> in a real device.

I hope this comes to pass, I have my own coco3 with T.D.'s 2 meg kit in
it, and Dennis Skala's
old original coco3, which has an early and extremely noisy video version
of the GIME.
For that, I'd make the time to restore them both.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
  - Louis D. Brandeis