[Coco] 19 years is enough? Or not?

jrosslist at outlook.com jrosslist at outlook.com
Fri Oct 7 06:47:14 EDT 2022

I’ll go along with the unanimous vote to keep the list!

However, I will have to be honest and say that my preferred way to follow the CoCo community is on Facebook.  The ability to easily include pictures and videos w/ your post and the ability to comment on other people posts and others can comment on your comment (at least 3 levels of a thread then it flattens out the thread – not too bad of a compromise) w/o all the quoting.  And the emoji reactions ... those are the good parts. At least on the desktop, don’t know about the mobile app.

What is sorely missing are better ways to track what you have and have not read and sorting of posts in multiple ways including chronologically, etc.  If you go a few days or a week or two w/o checking, you will have a heck of a time figuring out what you have read or not read.  And not just in groups, but your own wall/feed.  When it comes to that they want to decide what you see (and yes that irks me, a lot). They think they know you better than you do yourself.

Ideally *if* we could create a client App/UI program that worked as a front end to the list, we could possibly make it more pleasing.  Make it a cross between a really good email client that handles lists and message threads and the social sites such as Facebook, Telegram, etc. For example, videos and pictures could be links that would automatically show up in the UI and served by a dedicated host. Emojis and what-not could be maintained in a separate database.

Then the stubborn ones amongst us can continue using the list w/ their beloved email client, and the rest of can use a modern UI w/ all the posts processed and stripped of huge <rant> quotes of quotes of quotes…  hundreds if not thousands of them.  Does anyone actually read those? Gone are the days those should be necessary. Even though on several occasions Dennis has asked, “please trim your posts”… Yet it seems the very next post will have two hundred lines of quoted text.  Some people top post, others bottom post, and others put their response smack in the middle.  Two words. And then quotes of quotes get included in the next response again.   </rant>

- james