[Coco] 19 years is enough? Or not?

Robert "Exile In Paradise" Murphey exile at weylan-yutani.com
Thu Oct 6 12:05:01 EDT 2022

On Thu, 2022-10-06 at 10:13 -0400, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz via Coco wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I started this list 19 years ago when the former Princeton list was
> spammed into submission.
>
> Posts have been slowing down with a lot of people migrating to
> Facebook.
> In the past five weeks, we've had just 70 posts.
>
> We presently have 583 members on this list. With occasional
> departures
> and arrivals, it's never broken 600 (598 was the most).
>
> So what do you think? Keep open or shut down? I'm open to either
> option.

Dennis,
You don't know me and we've never met - but because of your endless
contributions to the CoCo over the decades - I feel like I know you, at
least a little.

Things like podcasts, youtube streams, facebooks, discords, matrixes,
etc are all trendy and each have their own flashy aspects, but...

I've tried them all and none of them made me think they were a
replacement for being a reader and very occasional poster to this list.

For much of the early part of this century, I had no CoCos and was
living la vida emulator ... and this list was the *only* place I knew
of for CoCo information at all alongside the occasional webpage which
all seemed to appear and disappear with depressing frequency.

This list feels like part of the true bedrock foundation of the CoCo
community, especially with you behind the wheels and gears - like
you've always been with the CoCo.

The community would be much poorer without this list, or your voice in
it.

Mailing lists aren't for everyone, but maybe we haven't introduced
enough of the newer retro and CoCo folks to this one.

--
Robert "Exile In Paradise" Murphey <exile at weylan-yutani.com>
Weylan-Yutani Corporation