[Coco] 19 years is enough? Or not?

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Thu Oct 6 11:38:08 EDT 2022

On 10/6/2022 9:49 AM, L. Curtis Boyle via Coco wrote:
> Because the demographics of people who use this list includes a lot of people who do NOT use Facebook, or the Discord, etc., I would prefer to keep it going, as it is their only way of really communicating and keeping up with the Coco world. Plus, as Allen Huffman has mentioned, being able to go back and look up things from the past 19 years can be invaluable as well (I have used that in the past myself as well).

As someone who participates in multiple classic system communities,
while Facebook and web forums have definitely decreased mailing list
activity, all of the communities to which I belong have resolved to
continue supporting 1 or more mailing lists, for the reasons Allen and
Curtis mention. Though I don't want this thread to devolve into a
"Facebook sucks" rant, the lack of good way to archive content off FB
for historical retrieval bothers me greatly.  Last night, for example,
as I worked to diagnose issues with a Williams Defender Arcade machine
and found myself reading web forum and mailing list threads from 2015
and earlier on power supply issues and resolutions.

All that said, we should separate out the need for the list from the
need for you the manage or host the list. Over the last 12-24 months, I
have seen a number of mailing lists "re-homed" as the maintainers and
hosting parties have decided to retire or lessen their administrative
involvement (most of the lists have been hosted on extra capacity in
data centers owned by the list maintainer or similar configurations. I'm
not suggesting anything has changed, but if it has or does in the this
second category, it is easier than ever to re-host the list for
continued operation. TO be honest, I rather like the current mailing
list hosting options, as they offer dual ways to view the material, some
preferring to read the content via email, and others preferring a web
forum view.

Jim