[Coco] Help with algorithm in assembly...

Lee leep at tigerbase.com
Thu Nov 3 09:08:51 EDT 2022

I've got it reading the original data files and converting the graphics
when it first starts up.  It only stores the converted graphics (ready for
GIME consumption) in memory.  My main reason for wanting to use the
original data files is to lessen the chance anyone will complain about me
"stealing" copyrighted information.  By using the original data files, I'm
just writing an "engine" that "plays" the original files.  Even though this
is just a "hobby" and I never plan to sell this, I don't want a "cease and
desist" letter coming my way. :)

As far as progress, I've got it rendering a level (16x12 tiles with tiles
being 16x16 pixels) in 4½ vsyncs.  I need to have a game cycle every 5
vsyncs, so I only have ½ a vsync right now to do any game logic.  Still
working on getting that down.  I don't really need to render all the tiles
every game cycle, probably only ½ that many tiles at max and only about 10
or so on most levels.  So I think it's going to work out great.  Currently
I'm taking a break from the CoCo coding and working on diving into the DOS
game's EXE and tracing through it with DosBox-X's debugger to try and
reveal some of the game's logic. That's a painstaking grueling tedious
experience, but it's already revealing some good information.

-----
Lee