[Coco] toolshed decb attr TELEWRITER-128

johnmarkmelanie at gmail.com johnmarkmelanie at gmail.com
Sat May 21 01:14:58 EDT 2022

On a CoCo disk the file attributes are stored in the Granule Allocation
Table (GAT) (Think FAT as in File Allocation Table) on Tract 17 of the
floppy. TELEWRITER-128 saves files with a File Type: BASIC data file (1) and
a Data type: ASCII (255).

But I think it should be a File Type: Text editor file (3) and Data type:
ASCII (255).

TELEWRITER-128 will accept either file attribute but if you save, it will
change the File type 3 to a 1.

I have written a program to copy a file from one drive to another and I was
asked to detect the TXT extension and set the attributes. So I want to know
which way is right or is either right.

File type:

  BASIC Program (0)

  BASIC data file (1)
  Machine-language program (2)

  Text file (3)

Data type:

  ASCII file (255)

  Binary file (0)

C:\CoCo3\toolshed-2.2>decb attr C:\CoCo3\BASICA.DSK,ART9.TXT

File type:  BASIC data file (1)

Data type:  ASCII (255)

John Mark Mobley