[Coco] . Gif

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu Mar 24 11:10:34 EDT 2022

On Thursday, 24 March 2022 09:07:38 EDT John W. Linville wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 07:20:36AM -0400, Don Barber wrote:
> > I really wonder if he was just trolling in that interview. Its
> > Graphics Interchange Format, not Giraffe Interchange Format, so Jif
> > just doesn't make sense.
>
> There is no such rule for pronouncing acronyms. Perhaps if it was
> "GRIF" or there were some other consonant after the G, but there
> is not.
>
> Now if you'll excuse me...my friend George, the giant giraffe, wants
> a word -- he's a genius...

Nice play on words there, John.

For me, the rule has always been what I was taught in phonics class. Does
anyone else even recall having those classes in school? You would have to
be at least my age of 87 to recall those as they quit teaching it a grade
behind me where I went to school for 8.5 grades in the early 1940's.

And I'll always think thats why the average high school grad today can't
read or write the daily fishwrap. Or make change w/o the cash register
doing it for him or her. :(>

> John
> --
> John W. Linville		Someday the world will need a hero, and you
> linville at tuxdriver.com			might be all we have.  Be
ready.