[Coco] . Gif

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Thu Mar 24 09:58:33 EDT 2022

Definitely for Compuserve; it was their successor to RLE. Compuserve did make a terminal program for the Coco itself that supported RLE (and their custom stream download protocol called “B”), but they never did one that natively support GIF. The earliest GIF viewers would be Chris Babcock (CC2GIF and CC3GIF for DECB; he also did O9GIF for OS-9 a little later), and GIFOS9 was the first for OS-9 (whose authors name is escaping me at the moment).
Animated GIF’s we’re extensions to GIF added by Netscape; while the original 1987 GIF spec from Compuserve did support
multiple rectangular areas to draw in, it didn’t have the special headers that defined timings between each area being drawn, whether the animation went on forever or stopped. etc.

Sent from my iPhone