[Coco] . Gif

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 24 09:52:54 EDT 2022

On 3/24/22 09:40, Allen Huffman wrote:
>> On Mar 24, 2022, at 8:04 AM, John W. Linville <linville at tuxdriver.com> wrote:
>>
>> Even in late-80's BBS days (i.e. before normal folks had access to
>> the Internet), every one I came across that knew GIFs existed also
>> knew the correct pronunciation. It is hugely disappointing to see how
>> many people continue to mispronounce GIF even after Wilhite reminded
>> everyone, now so long ago.
>

> I was 100% on the hard-G sound … until the moment the author clarified it.

Sorry, I still use the hard "G".  Just makes sense in English.  Think it
this way.  If you were signing for a deaf person, how would you sign it?
"G" "I" "F"  or "J" "I" "F"?
I only ask that because I watched an interpreter sign "Ask Key" for a
deaf student in a CS Class once.  :-)

> Just think of all the flame wars that could have been prevented if he had included a pronunciation in the original spec ;-)
>
> Or if toilet paper came with directions on how to hang it on the roller.

The patent does, or at least the copies I have seen do.

bill