[Coco] . Gif

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Thu Mar 24 09:04:24 EDT 2022

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 06:41:57AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> On Thursday, 24 March 2022 06:29:47 EDT rietveld rietveld wrote:
> > I saw this in the morning news
> >
> > "Good morning. Stephen Wilhite, the creator of the GIF, has died at 74,
> > The Verge reported. The GIF, or Graphics Interchange Format, dates
> > back to the 1980s, when Wilhite was looking for a way to send
> > high-quality graphics in color during the early stages of the
> > internet.
>
> > If you’re wondering how to pronounce Wilhite’s magnum opus, he settled
> > the debate in a 2013 interview with the NYT. “The Oxford English
> > Dictionary accepts both pronunciations. They are wrong. It is a soft
> > ‘G,’ pronounced ‘jif.’ End of story.” "
>
> But for some reason carved deeply into our dna by now, it will be
> pronounced with a hard G.  Forever.

Speak for yourself! (I would think that someone named Gene could
appreciate a 'soft-G' pronunciation!)

Even in late-80's BBS days (i.e. before normal folks had access to
the Internet), every one I came across that knew GIFs existed also
knew the correct pronunciation. It is hugely disappointing to see how
many people continue to mispronounce GIF even after Wilhite reminded
everyone, now so long ago.

John