[Coco] Microware and BYTE magazine

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Tue Jul 26 17:45:17 EDT 2022

Today we can fact-check things in ways that would have been practically impossible not too many years ago. For an article I am working on, I was going to include a bit of data I “learned” when I worked at Microware. The problem is, I discovered it wasn’t accurate. This is a pity, since I bet I mentioned this particular item many times over the years when teaching OS-9 courses. I even included it on my old OS-9 History page:

http://os9al.com/os9history.shtml

The item in question is this:

> 1977 - RT68 released. Microware ad appears in the first issue of Byte magazine.

While I believe RT/68 was introduced in 1977, it seems BYTE magazine actually started two years earlier. The ad for RT/68 is found in the February 1977 issue of the magazine on page 121:

https://archive.org/details/byte-magazine-1977-02/page/n121/mode/2up

And this makes me wonder how I learned this. Microware wasn’t founded until 1976

The first issue of BYTE aappears to be September 1975 - https://archive.org/details/byte-magazine-1975-09

I’d like to publicly apologize for spreading this misinformation for the past 27 years.

Now to see if I can find the first ad for OS-9…
--
Allen Huffman - PO Box 7634 - Urbandale IA 50323 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT only)
http://www.subethasoftware.com - https://www.facebook.com/subethasoftware