[Coco] Color Computer RSA

Fabian Rodriguez (CoCoByte) fabian.rodriguez at cocobyte.co
Sun Jul 24 17:37:50 EDT 2022

Le 2022-07-24 à 11 h 30, Don Barber via Coco a écrit :
> Hi folks, wanted to share my latest project that I've just published.
>
> I've written an RSA implementation for the Color Computer. It will
> handle up to 2048-bit keys. Its written in assembly, and I've made all
> the code I developed open source and placed it on github here:
>
> https://github.com/barberd/cocorsa

Wow, thanks for publishing this under the GPLv3 Free software license, I
am also particularly impressed to see a clear description and detailed
information, even going as fas as linking to Wikipedia AND CoCopedia :)\

> [...]
> I also implemented some filesytem/file-handling routines, and a screen
> output routine that will wrap text nicely. Hopefully by making all
> these open source, I can also help future CoCo programmers.

This is very interesting. At what point did you decide is was worth it
to write your own and how long did this take ?

> I taught myself basic on my coco3 when I was 9 and always told myself
> that I'd learn to program it with 'machine language' one day. I also
> dusted off a lot of those mathematical algorithm skills from my
> computer science undergrad days to create this. So while an RSA
> implementation for the CoCo may not be that useful on a day-to-day
> basis, I'm still quite proud of this effort. Hopefully others can
> appreciate.
> [...]

I am thinking this could be useful to access online resources that
requires encryption... Or not ? In any case reading this makes me think
I too could tackle learning 6809 assembly language - great inspiration
:) Thank you!

Cheers,

F.

--