[Coco] Some new COCO questions

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Sun Jan 2 16:49:04 EST 2022

> On Jan 1, 2022, at 5:44 PM, Bill Gunshannon <bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> So, amazing what comes about when your hiding in the basement.
>
> After not using them for quite some time I have come up with a
> reason to get some of my COCOs running again and it has brought
> up some interesting questions.
>
> First one:  I have been trying to get D.L. Logo to run under
>            Level 2 OS9 without success.  Is there a reason
>            why it would not work under Level 2?

I haven’t gotten to trying DL Logo yet with the latest NitrOS9’s (including EOU), so I am not sure why it doesn’t work. Are you running it from a VDG (32 column) window? A lot of the Level 1 programs will require that (ie you can’t start it from a Coco 3 style window).

> Second one:  Assuming it won't, is it possible to build hard
>             disk systems under Level 1?
It definitely is.
> Third one:  Given what I said above, here's a big one for me
>            but probably trivial for someone here to help me
>            with.  I have a TC3 SCSI controller, a SuperIDE
>            and a couple of Glenside IDE boards.  I have never
>            had any luck getting any hard disk systems working.
>            Anybody got any pointers to a document that will
>            walk me through what it takes to do this?
I will mention that a few people are working on making EOU editions for IDE drives (EOU, in order to keep it simple (and us sane) is setup for emulators and CocoSDC only - but there is no reason it won’t work on MFM/RLL, SCSI or IDE as well. Some people who have that hardware to test it on are working on alternate boots to offer for EOU users.

> And one last thing:  I would like to build a system with a
>             unique set of hardware, like RS232 and a modem
>             cartridge.  Is it easier to build the system on
>             a non-COCO using the ToolShed?
This will depend on what you are used to. It can be done either way. :-)