[Coco] Getting back into the Coco Community after a 4+ year break

Mark D. Overholser marko555.os2 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 17:43:05 EST 2022

On 2/3/22 22:51, computerdoc wrote:
> Hello Coco Community!
> After a 4+ year hiatus, I am getting back into the Coco Community.
> A very brief history of the last 4 years would be moving to NC in
> January 2018, helping and taking care of my parents, helping Mom with
> and through the last days of my father as well as details concerning
> Dad's funeral. I have also been treated for heart failure for the last
> 2 years and doing well. An upcoming procedure is yet to be planned.

Sorry to hear about your Father...   Glad to hear your doing better.
Keep following the Doctor's Instructions.

> I have been studying the Raspberry Pi 4B as well as the CM4 boards. My
> main RPi systems are 2 - CM4 8GB boards on a RPi Official IO board and
> on a Waveshare IO board and 1 - CM4 4GB board on a 4B style carrier
> board. I also have 1 - 4B 8GB board housed in an ArgonOne M.2 case with
> an M.2 1TB SSD drive as my regular 4B system. In addition to all that,
> I have 2 - 4B 4GB boards, 1 - 4B 2GB board, and a 3B+. You might say I
> got deep into Rasbberry Pis! :)

That is a lot of Pi's..   I have Two Pi 3B+ and Two 4B+ with 4 GB online
and working..

> I am writing the list to seek assistance in setting up my local Coco
> disk software build system on my new (to me) HP ZBook laptop running
> both Windows 11 and Linux Mint like I use to do in Windows 7 years
> back. I might setup Cygwin on Windows 11 with the NitrOS-9 build system
> just to have a starting point before getting everything running in
> Linux.  Anyone who has experience with Linux Mint (a debian variation)
> running on an HP ZBook Xeon Laptop and TwisterOS v2.1.2 (currently) on
> my Raspberry Pis as the OSes being used to build Lwtools, Toolshed,
> NitrOS-9 and etcetera coco software packages in sharing their setup
> ideas would be a big help.

Like Mark McDougall said, look into the WSL and WSL2.  Micro-Soft is
working pretty hard to make working with Linux Build-Systems easy to do..

> I have begun trying to get Lwtools, Toolshed, and NitrOS-9 build
> systems running on my laptop in Linux Mint to no avail so far. Some
> deep diving is required to continue in this direction. Stoppage on
> TwisterOS is not knowing how to solve some of the tool differences
> required between my previous Cygwin setup and using real linux systems
> as mentioned. Any help would be much appreciated.

I have had excellent luck with building LWTools, ToolShed and such on
the RPi and Ubuntu, using Brett Gordon's FIP build instructions...

Getting these to build under Windows 7 with CygWin 32 is another
matter.. I'm stuck on the gcc-6809 compiler.

Try the build_fuzix.txt file on Brett's FIP, on GitHub..   I'll e-mail
to you directly..

> I am looking forward to getting back into NitrOS-9 again at whatever
> version it is currently and exploring all the new boards I have only
> heard about up to this point.

V 6.1.0 from L. Curtis Boyle's site....

<https://thezippsterzone.com/>

> Kip Koon