[Coco] OS-9: Here we go again (see also: Coco and CoCofest)

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 19:59:11 EDT 2022

On Sat, Aug 13, 2022 at 8:28 AM David Ladd via Coco
<coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:

> Eric,
>
> I believe Microware has already been working on OS-9/ARM for a while now
> and since both iPhone's and the new Mac's are ARM based there you go :P

The processor is (somewhat) orthogonal to the market. Especially, ARM
has broad penetration in a variety of markets.

On the other hand, ...

> Sincerely,
> David Ladd
> ***END OF LINE***
>
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 5:10 PM Eric Canales via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hmm, sounds good! Who's ready to start development on OS-9 X and iOS-9 for
> > phones?

Since phone OSses are by definition embedded, they demonstrate that
embedded and personal/home use are not separate markets.

If Microware had deep pockets and wanted to litigate, with the proper
legal team, they could probably get the original verdict overturned
and get some rather steep claims against Apple.

But they'd have much better ammunition if they had been actively
developing a phone OS sometime in the past.

Which is to say, I think it would be better now (and would have been
better then) for Microware to start (gradually) expanding their market
focus for real instead of just trying to hold on to what remains.

That would require them to make some technical and legal decisions
they have continued to show aversion to, however -- officially opening
the source, being willing to pursue different technical solutions than
what's popular in the market in producing an equally capable
toolchain, among other things.

--
Joel Rees

http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html