[Coco] OS-9: Here we go again (see also: Coco and CoCofest)

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Fri Aug 12 15:03:41 EDT 2022

On Aug 12, 2022, at 1:54 PM, Arthur Flexser via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:

> I take it Microware lost the suit?

Yeah…

I got to sit in on the two day court session here in Des Moines. My 1999 iMac DV was used in the case. Microware showed OS-9 on a desktop computer (PC) controlling a FireWire camera, and Mac OS 9 on a desktop computer (Mac) controlling a FireWire camera. There were many statements made, but this was to address one that said OS-9 was completely different than an operating system a home computer user would run. (Pity we didn’t have thousands of CoCo people there to show how they indeed did use it on a home computer.)

The Apple lawyers had a large team, a wireless laptop (!) showing presentations on screens, a staff of people at the back pulling documents as things went on. It was quite the show. The Iowa lawyers didn’t stand a chance.

I got to say “hi” to Phil Schiller, too. I recognized his voice from watching the tiny postage-stamp sized Quicktime videos of the Mac World keynote presentations.

One of the things that happened was they got the court to throw out any online stuff — those people were not here to make their statements, after all. All the Mac posts in comp.os.os9 and similar things couldn’t be used to show market confusion. I actually expect if a similar case were held today, it might go differently since we DO consider postings online for legal matters ;-)

It was quite the event.

		— A