[Coco] What was used before EDTASM+?

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Aug 2 23:23:04 EDT 2022

On 8/2/22 22:56, John Guin wrote:
> Gene,
>
> You mentioned the 1802 in one of these replies.  This modern kit computer uses an 1802 to re-create the COSMAC Elf - a Popular Electronics build from the 70s.
>
> Link http://www.sunrise-ev.com/1802.htm
>
> Currently making the rounds - IIRC, this bubbled up on Hacker News recently.
>
> Enjoy!
> John

Yes John, but the Quest Super Elf could actually do something. In this
case, control a 3/4" u-matic tape
recorder that you loaded a video tape into it, searched to find the
first frame of a commercial to be seen on the air, and once the start
frame, and length was entered, would drive the tape in reverse for 10
seconds, put it back in record and record a new, timed to that first
frame, beep tone that timed a 5 second pre-roll, recording
a new digital academy leader from 9.9 to 2.0 seconds, shut the recording
off, but put another tone on
the second audio channel 5 seconds before the end of the commercial to
trigger the next commercial in
another machine.

I built all the interfacing including generating those huge characters
in the video so the operators could
read them from 20 feet away on a 5" monitor in the control room. We had
5 players, so we could do
a station break with 5 commercials with one button push.

I was learning, so that was fun.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
  - Louis D. Brandeis