[Coco] Did this really happen?

M. David Johnson mdj at bds-soft.com
Sun Sep 5 18:16:13 EDT 2021

Before I get too excited, I'd like someone, more proficient than I, to
confirm my apparent unexpected blessing.

I just purchased two 128K CoCo 3's off of ebay.

The first one worked fine. It said "128K Color Computer 3" on the top, but
just to confirm, I took a flashlight and looked through the top slots. I
read MCM41464P on one of the chips (a 64K x 4 RAM I believe, implying a
total 128K x 8 memory).

When the second one arrived, it also said "128K Color Computer 3" on the
top. But it had something rattling around loose inside the case. When I
opened it up I discovered that it had empty sockets where I expected the RAM
chips to be. And the thing rattling around loose was an L-shaped board with
sixteen MCM6256AP12 chips on it (each a 256K x 1 RAM I believe, implying a
total of 512K x 8 memory).

After I said a quick "Thank You, Lord" under my breath, I re-seated the
board in the headers provided on the motherboard, and closed the CoCo back
up, I plugged it in and it too worked fine.

Have I judged correctly?

And, could the CoCo 3 512K Memory Checker available on the CoCo Archive be
used to double-confirm this?

--
M. David Johnson
mdj at bds-soft.com