[Coco] Reading data through the bitbanger port

dave at davebiz.com dave at davebiz.com
Mon Mar 29 14:18:52 EDT 2021

As Tim mentions in his reply, the serial port really needs a tight
assembly language routine in order to read it in a practical way. Most
UARTs (hardware serial ports) use a 16x clock to read data accurately.
Therefore, a 19,200 bps serial stream would require a 307.2 kHz clock.
So a CPU clocked at 890 kHz and requiring multiple clocks per
instruction just doesn't hack it in BASIC. However, if you are only in
need of a very slow data rate, maybe less than 300 bps, you *could*
feasibly write a BASIC program which could read data in through the
serial port.

Dave