[Coco] Latest LWTools not available for Windows 32 bit

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Mar 16 12:30:26 EDT 2021

On Tuesday 16 March 2021 08:20:27 Bruce W. Calkins wrote:

> Going off list.

> >> CoCo's at 20 paces?
> >>
> >> Bruce W.
> >
> > Shirley you jest. For a moment, I had more permanent fixes in mind.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> Perhaps a CoCo joust?
>
> BWC  ;)

But that would be harder on the coco's than on the contestants. ;)

And we are getting to the point where there are not enough coco's still
functional already.  What I'd like to see next, is mame or something
similar, running on an old rpi-3b, something that one could hide in a
case of a coco whose mobo has died. I think even a pi3b would be faster
than a coco even if we tried to kill it emulating the gime chip.

Here is a thought. The $65 mesa 7i90hd interface card has 72 i/o pins it
can update at megahertz speeds, and its driven from the pi at an SPI
bus, 3 gpio wires, speed of about 40 megabaud using a packet of data
format of 4 8 bit bytes. I am driving a 1400 lb, 80 year old Sheldon
11x56 lathe to far more accuracy than the wear and tear of its ways can
actually do even with laser generated compensation maps for all of it,
and doing it at 10x the speed an experienced operator could do it in
1960.

That we ought to be able to drive a whole coco3 with.  All we really have
to worry about is the coco's i/o, everything else can be emulated. And
with 72 lines of read or write data, (we have to segregate it to 34
lines becuase it can't read and write to the same line, but thats
fixable) we could do a lot more than the coco's limited I/O addressing
scheme allows, something you can recall I have ranted about several
times at length over the last 25 years. Because they weren't conscious
enough to decode that top page of ram, which could have been done by
another 20 cents worth of 74138's, they threw away i/o space for 14 more
pluggin cards, seven between the pia's and 7 more between the top pia
and floppy at $FF40. And there is similarly wasted space above the gime
image ending at $FFA0 on the coco3's to the IRQ table at $FFF0, about 16
more 4 byte wide slots could live there too. But orders from on high
crippled it because they wanted to sell UP to the pc junk. Worse yet,
they allowed the PC folks to design by the same rules.

Sigh... Bean counters, we ought to have a bounty on them.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis