[Coco] Testing

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed Mar 10 06:16:40 EST 2021

On Wednesday 10 March 2021 00:02:57 Salvador Garcia via Coco wrote:

> I sent the list two posts and neither one cam through. Testing this
> now. Salvador

Salvador, I got two posts from you yesterday.

So it looks like yahoo has begun to use the same de-duplicator rule that
gmail enforces where YOU and only YOU do not get an echo from the list
because the echo is considered a duplicate.

It was not open for discussion at gmail so theres only 2 fixes.

1. subscribe using a new name, get your mail with the new name but
continue to post using the old name. But it's a pita to try to remember
to change the address for every reply to the list, so...

2. Get off of yahoo's server and use your own isp's mail server. My isp,
the local cable company, isn't married to winduz so runs their server on
linux with dovecot, and just recently instituted a new spam filter with
an automatic whitelist generator. One that lets you decide whether its
spam or not. One of my more high traffic lists was declared spam, I
found several list mails in the spam folder there, but when I logged in
with a browser, and moved the first one back to the inbox, I was advised
that that src had been automaticaly added to the whitelist. Two lists
got caught, but moving the messages back to the inbox there, to be
pulled by fetchmail within 2 minutes, fixed the whitelist and no more
problems. I also use fetchmails imap capability's to delete the pulled
emails since dovecot uses the same file structure for both, but disables
the pop3 dele function. I keep my own email corpus here so I don't need
the forever that imap uses. That also bypasses some of the email
functions that facilitate the spammers since the maximum lifetime of a
message on their server is 2 minutes.

I have a bounty of windows here, been using linux exclusively here since
1998, and use the tde version of kmail here, and have all that
automated, using fetchmail and some scripts I wrote, such that all I
have to do to make a reply, is chose which format of a reply to send. a
mouse click to reply, type my reply, a ctl-return or a mouse click
sends. I'm a lazy old (86 now) coot, but handy with bash scripts.
Computers are supposed to make it easy so I let them do all the
acrobatics of handling a 70 subscription list. Whats not to like? It
Just Works. I have read your posts forever, and IMO, you CAN do it
similarly.

Take care and stay well Salvador.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)