[Coco] Breaking the Four-Color Barrier

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Wed Jul 21 03:09:12 EDT 2021

It's been a while since I last posted here; I am usually posting on the
FB forum, so I thought I'd switch things up a bit.

Over there, I had made a post about H. Allen Curtis's "Desktop Publisher
on a Shoestring" article (and later "follow-up") that appeared in the
Rainbow. Consequently, I've been rummaging thru the scans I have on my
NAS, finding interesting and old things - some of them I recall playing
with as a kid back in the day.

As the subject of this post indicates, I found something of note, that
shows - at least when it comes to the CoCo 3 and the Rainbow - just how
close someone came to finding the 256-color artifacting mode of the CoCo 3.

See the Rainbow, October 1988, Page 51 "Breaking the Four-Color Barrier"
by Rusty Cutchin

Now - I'm not wanting to rehash the whole 256 color thing, and really,
doing artifacting isn't even mentioned; in fact, it seems like this
article is about making colors by mixing primary colors in the 640
(HSCREEN 4) 4-color mode on an RGB monitor.

I recall playing with this code, and finding it somewhat interesting,
but I couldn't use it for what I wanted (namely, high-resolution solid
3D models, via Lee Adams' books of the day), because it didn't modify
the HPAINT routine to support the method, and I didn't have the skills
then to do it.

Heck, today...while I would be willing to tackle it and could probably
make the system do -something-, I really don't have the deep intimate
knowledge of the CoCo 3's SECB in RAM to do more than break things, I
think. I'd have to pull out the Unravelled series and pray to the gods
for understanding. IOW, someone else here likely could mod/patch the ROM
routines faster and better than I could.

But anyhow...this particular article does show something interesting,
and at the same time - while it wasn't focused on it, actually doesn't
even hint at it - I do today wonder what if someone had said "4 colors,
4 gray levels, 640 pixels, artifacting...hmm" and tried it back then.
Honestly, I don't know why I didn't try it, because at the time I had an
RGB monitor and my TV hooked up to my CoCo 3. But it never occurred to me.

The past is strange that way, I guess.

Regardless, though - this technique for gaining some "colors" in that
higher-res mode does look interesting, and I wonder how far it could be
pushed - that is, what kind of dithering techniques or such could be
used to make it look like many, many more colors. I know it's possible
(Simon's PMODE 3 Torus demo shows that, I think).

Well...maybe someone can run with it. :)

Andrew L. Ayers
Glendale, Arizona
phoenixgarage.org
github.com/andrew-ayers