[Coco] CoCo floppy disk subsystem

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri Jan 15 15:07:29 EST 2021

On Friday 15 January 2021 13:26:09 Salvador Garcia via Coco wrote:

>  I took a quick and dirty pic of the controller with my Web cam:
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/12qXDKO4ry3tdBFFqU5mz-ADVi2c384pn/view
>?usp=sharing
>

> Although a bit blurry, the three pots are prominently visible at the
> top of the PCB.
>
> If I were to swap out the controller for an FD501 or 502, will these
> controllers work with the floppy drive that came with my 26-3022
> system? Thanks! Salvador
>

>     On Friday, January 15, 2021, 08:23:26 AM CST, Rick Ulland
> <rickulland1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 1/14/21 6:19 PM, Salvador Garcia via Coco wrote:
> >  I have heard about the WD1793's lack of reliability.
> > Would swapping out the WD1793 with an MB8877A help eliminate
> > reliability issues? Thanks, Salvador
>
> If this is the original controller with three adjustment pots inside,
> that's the infamous analog data separator. I believe the 12v is to
> power this bit. Bound to be off by now, and I think you need a test
> disk to get it back on. Has value as a cool part, but maybe not
> practical.

The test disk might be handy but it MUST BE an original Dyson disk,
copies need not apply as they will NOT contain the errors the original
has.

But a decent scope will suffice for the pot adjustments, you'll want to
see in the output pattern a 50% duty cycle between logic 0's and logic
ones. Very easy to see with a triggered scope. Not very easy on an 80
dollar ebay model.

> -ricku

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)