[Coco] CoCo floppy disk subsystem

Salvador Garcia salvadorgarciav at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 15 13:26:09 EST 2021

 I took a quick and dirty pic of the controller with my Web cam:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12qXDKO4ry3tdBFFqU5mz-ADVi2c384pn/view?usp=sharing

Although a bit blurry, the three pots are prominently visible at the top of the PCB.

If I were to swap out the controller for an FD501 or 502, will these controllers work with the floppy drive that came with my 26-3022 system? Thanks! Salvador

    On Friday, January 15, 2021, 08:23:26 AM CST, Rick Ulland <rickulland1 at gmail.com> wrote:

On 1/14/21 6:19 PM, Salvador Garcia via Coco wrote:
>  I have heard about the WD1793's lack of reliability.
> Would swapping out the WD1793 with an MB8877A help eliminate reliability issues? Thanks, Salvador

If this is the original controller with three adjustment pots inside,
that's the infamous analog data separator. I believe the 12v is to power
this bit. Bound to be off by now, and I think you need a test disk to
get it back on. Has value as a cool part, but maybe not practical.

-ricku