[Coco] CoCo floppy disk subsystem

Salvador Garcia salvadorgarciav at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 14 12:28:55 EST 2021

Happy New Year all. Thanks to Rietveld's exploration with using the GoTek with a CoCo and other computers, I was motivated to get a GoTek myself to test my floppy drive subsystem that is not working correctly.

I have the 26-3022 floppy drive and controller. I had this working back in the 80s with my CoCo 1. This past December I decided to unpack it all and give it a run. Much to my dismay, the floppy drive subsystem did not work as expected. I got as far as getting the formatting process started with DSKINI 1, but after the head steps 34 times and seeks, I would get the dreaded IO ERROR.

Since I was on vacation in Mexico, I decided to bring back with me the 26-3022 controller (the drive was too cumbersome and heavy).

My plan is to swap out parts, specifically, the drive and cable, hoping that the problem is with one of these. I have no way to swap out the cart controller. I got the GoTek to substitute the floppy drive and I already ordered and got a new 5.25" drive flat cable, with no twist.

I received my GoTek yesterday and am in the process of installing the FlashFloppy firmware. Here is what I have:

1. CoCo 2 and 3
2. 26-3022 cart controller plus original flat cable
3. New 34 pin flat cable for 5.25" floppy drives (this has one connector at each end)
4. 34-pin edge connector to IDC adapter (to connect the 5.25" drive cable to the GoTek)
5. GoTek emulator SFR1M44-U100K-R

Am I able to build a working floppy disk subsystem using these items? Or asked another way, is the 26-3022 compatible with the CoCo 2 or 3?

Any tips or advice on building this system?

As always thank you all for your time and assistance. Salvador