[Coco] Opinions on using fake CoCos

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Tue Jan 5 12:32:11 EST 2021

On 1/5/2021 7:53 AM, Lee wrote:
> Would it be feasible to split the CoCo keyboard connector internally so it
> connects to the CoCo main board, but also splits to a cable coming out the
> back that connects USB to a PC with a switch so you could switch it between
> the CoCo and the PC?  This would let you type on the real CoCo when needed,
> or use the real CoCo's keyboard to type on the PC.  This is just a wild
> uneducated idea, but figured I'd throw it out there.
>
> -----
> Lee

You can't just split it passively (Y cable style), but you can do what
your describing, as I am working on a project like that for another
platform.

The KB connects to a small controller, and the controller polls the KB.
The controller then interfaces to a "crosspoint switch", which emulates
the KB, and that switch is connected to the CoCo (CLoud9's KB controller
uses a crosspoint switch in this way). In your use case, the controller
would also send the keystrokes to a USB or PS/2 output to a PC. Paul's
USB KB adapter could be easily extended to support this construct, just
by adding the crosspoint switch and the code to drive it. Then, pressing
an 'A' key on the KB would "close" the respective crosspoint switch
*AND* send out an 'A' via USB to the PC.

Jim

www.go4retro.com
store.go4retro.com