[Coco] NitrOS-9 EOU Beta 6 released

Jeff Teunissen deek at d2dc.net
Fri Jan 1 10:54:57 EST 2021

On Fri, Jan 1, 2021 at 10:26 AM <richardcavell at mail.com> wrote:

> On 26/12/2020 at 02:04, Jeff Teunissen wrote:
>
> > That's the other big thing -- the same tools run on both OS-9 and
> > Linux (and probably Mac, and maybe cygwin but I haven't tried it).
>
> But OS9 is still not Linux?

Heh, correct, OS-9 is not Linux. It's similar to Unix (sixth or
seventh "edition") in a few ways, but unlike it in a number of other
ways. If you program in C, though, the two systems are similar enough
that many programs for one can be compiled and run on the other.

As such, with careful programming, you can compile an OS-9 C compiler
(which was itself written in C) on modern Linux/Mac/Windows systems
and expect it to produce working 6809 assembly code from C input. Many
programmers are not sufficiently careful to make this happen fully,
but in this case got within shouting distance of it.