[Coco] CoCo 3's CoCo 1/2 mode

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Mon Aug 23 00:14:44 EDT 2021

I found this at http://www.roust-it.dk/coco/Lomont_CoCoHardware_2.pdf
-----------
To use CoCo 3 graphics, the COCO bit must be set to zero. When using CoCo
1/2 resolutions, the bit is set to 1. RSDOS typically sets the INIT0
register [$FF90] to 196 in CoCo 2 resolutions and 68 when using CoCo 3
graphics modes.

So, it would seem that Bit 7 of $FF90 (the "COCO bit") is just something
that has to be set appropriately by the user, or by the Basic ROM graphics
routines, depending on whether the CoCo 3 or the CoCo 1/2 graphics modes
are being employed.  It's not a general compatibility switch.  At startup,
the CoCo 3 defaults to CoCo 1/2 graphics resolution, so $FF90 bit 7 starts
out set to 1.

Art