[Coco] Zip 100 drive

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Wed Sep 16 12:38:58 EDT 2020

I honestly don't think it'll make much difference:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/atapi-and-ide-difference.707794/

But it is curious that the thread mentioned it was used for non-hard
drive things; I guess the question is "is a zip drive a hard drive?" -
I'd say it is, but others might not.

Personally, what I'd do (unless your system won't support it) is get a
USB Zip drive, transfer that stuff (all of your zip disks) over to
something modern, and leave it behind for historical purposes.

I used to run the parallel port zip drive - loved it, never had a
problem. But once CD-R media became dirt cheap, that was it - bought a
writer, 100 disk pack, moved everything over, and didn't look back.

Today, everything goes on USB hard drives (actually, I put my stuff on a
NAS, but also keep a spare copy on a USB hard drive as well).

Unless you have some other reason for keeping that Zip drive around, I
think it would be a good idea to move to something else. USB ZIP drives
are fairly cheap to get on Ebay (just make sure you get the ZIP100
version - I can't recall if the 250 can read ZIP100 disks - I think it
can, I think it's just writing them, and then reading them on ZIP100
drives, that is the issue).

--
Andrew L. Ayers
Glendale, Arizona