[Coco] Large file deletion fails on NitrOS9/6309

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu May 28 15:25:32 EDT 2020

On Thursday 28 May 2020 13:43:52 Jeff Teunissen wrote:

> I'm aware of the 18 bits in the DAM for a bootable floppy; this is
> more like thousands of them.

Wow! This is a place for something that works like git's bisect, but I
have no clue if hg can do that. I can say that at the time I last walked
around in that code 25 years ago, something like this never happened.

But I also recall that rbf keeps only 1 sector of the FAM in memory at
one time.  So I'd see if I could locate the code that handles the search
for clean bits and see what it does when there is not enough in the
current sector to satisfy the request. How does it discover that, and go
on to load the next sector and continue the search?  It all worked back
then but people have since merged and conditionalized that since since I
was building separate versions for 6809 and 6309.  That was back in 1.16
days. Now, theoretically, it runs optimally on either cpu, but I didn't
do the merging.

Except now it is not, and its not likely I could ever get my head wrapped
around todays rbf.mn code again.