[Coco] toolshed on windows 7 how does it do 256 byte sectors?

David Ladd davidwladd at gmail.com
Mon May 18 22:59:28 EDT 2020

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 9:08 PM John E. Malmberg <wb8tyw at qsl.net> wrote:

> I am trying to look through the toolshed code to try to figure out how
> the diskini.exe can create a floppy with 256 byte sectors on Windows 7
> or later.
>
> I am also trying to see if it provides a way to read my DECB formated
> coco disks on Windows 7 or later.
>
> It looks like I can use the instructions on Linux to copy a floppy to a
> disk image, but I am not sure if the USB floppy can handle 256 byte
> sectors, has anyone tried that?

USB Floppy Drive's are design to only work with the standard 512Byte sector
layout used by Window and macOS systems that used the 1.44MB HD size.
There are a few USB drives that will do the 720K DD disks, but it depends
on the model of drive.

To use a real floppy drive you must have a compatible floppy controller on
your motherboard.

Otherwise right now best cheap option is a Greaseweazle and using the
HxCFloppyEmulator software to convert the image to the JVC format used by
the CoCo emulators or SDC.