[Coco] Largest sdcard supported by SDC?

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Tue May 12 11:29:53 EDT 2020

On May 12, 2020, at 10:21 AM, Alex Evans <varmfskii at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have just tested a 64GB SDXC card in the teh CoCoSDC. I suspect that
> the limit is the 2TB limit imposed by other FAT32 and SDXC. Windows
> will not format FAT32 volumes larger than 32GB.

Just be careful :)

Be aware that the CoCoSDC, like many embedded micro devices, uses a standalone SD interface part. There is no OS and file system driver. You send it commands and it does stuff. These parts are not as robust as a desktop and can be very picky about brands of cards and formats and such. I have dozens of devices that use things like this that I have fought over the years and had data too many times to count. I went through a half dozen types of cards before I found one my Chauvet DMX playback unit would work with, most recently.

While these larger SD cards may work, we should look up the part number for that interface and see what it claims to support. Many have small size requirements and it’s best to stick with those. Most I see specifically say things Ike "Please make sure the card format is FAT32" (obviously, it only knows it) and list sizes like "2GB max for microSD, 32GB for microSDHC."

I have a box of SD adapters I use with Arduino projects and I’m stunned the SDC is as reliable as it is using one of these type parts.