[Coco] Largest sdcard supported by SDC?

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Tue May 12 10:21:43 EDT 2020

On 5/12/2020 8:39 AM, Ed Snider wrote:
> John,
>
> It must be an SD or SDHC formatted FAT32 (or FAT16 for small ones), so 32GB is the max.

In general, this is not true.  On another platform, I offer a similar
product, and I tested a 128GB card in it, which worked fine.  As you
note, the card must be formatted FAT32, so one must reformat the larger
cards (Windows tries to keep one from doing it, but you can do it from
the command line, and Linux/MacOS is happy to oblige with standard
utilities). But, once formatted with something besides xFAT, they work
(assuming the code accessing the FAT filesystem isn't broken in some
way, as the FAT32 specification supports sizes up to 2TB).

I tested the same card with the CoCoSDC.  128GB works fine, in my
limited testing.

(And no, I don't see a logical reason to buy such a large card for any
classic platform, as I am not aware of any platform library that large.
But, I got tired of people asking for the maximum size the hardware
would handle, and lamenting it was *ONLY* 32GB.  Once I tested 128GB and
suggested anything larger would also work, those "checkoff" questions
disappeared. This suggests to me that no one else was seriously
considering using a > 32GB card, but they wanted something to complain
about).

Jim