[Coco] Mystic BBS

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sat May 2 21:48:26 EDT 2020

On 5/2/2020 5:58 PM, phil pt wrote:
> That did not come from me unless you called my bbs system and posted it
> here.

Not to start a flame, but I replied to and quoted part of a post to this
mailing list/newsgroup that someone with your posting name wrote on
September 30th, 2019 at 6:44 PM EDT.

You can view the entire message that I replied to at this link:
https://pairlist5.pair.net/pipermail/coco/2019-September/172591.html

As per common mailing list etiquette, I only quoted the content that I
was replying to, not the entire message.

If you did not post it, then someone spoofed your name in the post.
The gmane news server cloaks the e-mail addresses, so all I can tell is
that both your reply and the previous reply where delivered through a
google mail server.

If someone is spoofing your posts, which I have no reason to believe is
happening, Gmail has a feature that will prevent you from seeing them
because it will automatically put them in the sent folder instead of
your inbox.  I have found no setting in gmail to disable this "feature".

Personally I have no opinion at all about the Mystic BBS, and don't have
time to visit it.

I was just posting the requirement by NIST about password lifetimes not
being allowed because they result in more easily cracked passwords in
tests as a reply to a statement in the above link that the Mystic BBS
was enforcing a password lifetime.

Only the Federal government is required to comply with NIST.

With passwords, not complying current NIST rules and guidelines not only
makes a system easier to break in to, I find it makes a system annoying
to use.

Regards,
-John