[Coco] pyDriveWire v0.5a

Michael Furman n6il at ocs.net
Sun Mar 22 11:37:43 EDT 2020

Hi guys,

I’m the author of pyDriveWire.  There was a hiatus in development in between August and February— I simply got burned out.  I have started to pick my projects back up this past week.  There are still many plans in the works for pyDriveWire.  I’m not yet sure how far I will get before the original Coco Fest date whether it will be a bug fix or feature release.

At the moment there is not a binary distribution of pyDriveWire that you can just download and run. I am working on this right now but it is not ready for public release.  Unfortunately this means you must deal with installing a few python packages to get pyDriveWire running. I had written instructions for this at some point but somehow they got modified and lost.

Regarding pip — it is the python package installer.  This must be installed first.

1. Download the pip installer script from https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py

2. Install it by running: pypy get-pip.py

3. After pip is installed and working you use it to install pyserial using the original command that failed before: pypy -m pip install pyserial

Lastly, I could use some help to test the binary package distributions of pyDriveWire. Please let me know if you are interested.

—Mikey