[Coco] NitrOS9/BASIC09 equivalent SOUND and PLAY Commands

James Jones jejones3141 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 18:25:05 EST 2020

Microsoft for a while was in the business of grinding out BASIC
interpreters for various brands and models of personal computers. (If you
remember Russ "Russy-poo" Walter's *Secret Guide to Computers--*he's still
around, BTW!--one edition of the secret guide had what I suspect was a
semi-serious section claiming that personal computers tended to succeed if
their makers would "pay [the] Bill", i.e. get Microsoft to do BASIC for
them.)

There was a core language and an interpreter which had to be rewritten for
a particular target processor, and they'd add custom commands for specific
features of a particular computer--typically graphics and sound.

OTOH, Microware was in the business of supporting a wide variety of
computers, many of them embedded systems. Before I went to work at
Microware, I worked for a fellow who had a Smoke Signal Broadcasting
Chieftain with multiple Wyse terminals where we generated reports and form
letters and the like. No games, no need to play game theme songs, so there
wasn't anything to customize it for--and why bother, when you can RUN
procedures written in whatever language as long as it honors what we'd now
call the BASIC09 ABI?