[Coco] Soldering Irons/Stations

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Tue Jun 30 19:13:58 EDT 2020

Nathan Byrd has recommended: Hakko FX-888D
Roy Justus has recommended: Xytronix iron from Jameco

I was looking possibly:

Weller-WLC100-40-Watt-Soldering-Station

No temp gauge, and not sure what setting to use on on the control.

Was highly rated on a review site.  And replacement iron plated tips
seem to be readily available.

Also recommended by that site was:

Weller WE1010NA Digital Soldering Station

Again, not sure what temperature to use when, so not sure how useful the
that is.   Notice that it seems to take different tips than the other one.

Looks pretty comparable to the Hakko FX-888D but a bit more expensive.

So how do I know what temperature to set?

Or on the first case, what dial setting to use?

Looks like more stuff to lookup.

For de-soldering one article recommended getting a couple of
"soldapullt" which appears to have several cheap clones for under $10.

One for primary use, and the other for backup when after a period of
time it finally loses its suction.

Looks like a newer version of what I got from Radio Shack way back when.

Unfortunately it turns out the hobby budget is going to be tight this
month.

Regards,
-John