[Coco] Rebuild and/or modifications for Multi-pak?

Rick Ulland rickulland1 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 14:17:47 EDT 2020

Back in the day, CoNect would repack a CoCo using a 6 inch ribbon cable
to remote mount the MPI. We soldered the CoCo side of that cable, which
kept the number of inline connections down and preserved the original
buss socket for 'diagnostics' (ROMpak games). The ribbon might even be a
bonus since those ribbon to cardedge connectors fit TIGHT.

I did this on maybe a dozen CC3 of various ages and origins, worked
every time. This is important to note because there is a vast tolerance
in what any random CoCo3 will put up with - CoNect once prototyped a
great buss Xpander... for 1 out of 6 Color Computer 3s. Never figured
out how to ID which one. Korean, American, 86, 87, it was just random.
The issue was my bad design, but the result might explain why there is
such a range of advice out there.

Other than the CoCo3 PAL upgrade and optional OS9 'IRQ strap'  I can't
think of any must do things. Silicon works until it doesn't, and there
is such a thing as 'too fast' in a chain of slower chips. For that
matter, computer capacitors from the 80s rated for dozens of volts seem
to hold up much better than tube radio capacitors from the 40s rated for
hundreds of volts. Who knew?

I'd say fix the MPI, adding good machine pin sockets under any chip you
pull. If you have to buy chips, make the minimum order with a full extra
set and tape them inside the case, because 74ls chips are going
obsolete. Then ride the heck out of it.

-rick
CoNect