[Coco] Permissions Problems

coco at jechar.ca coco at jechar.ca
Fri Jul 31 11:11:15 EDT 2020

Actually I have got to the bottom of it.

What I was doing was copying files from a hard drive image
to a floppy image in VCC with somewhere around 3M copied
when I type to copy more with "arc" the disk would become
say no permission. If I tried to access it.

Hear is what is happening - it is common for drive wire disks to
be formatted to $400 tracks. I have been able to read and write
to such disks in Vcc mounting them as floppys. /d0,/d1,d2 I
just needed to be sure to do a dmode /d1 cyl=400 for example.
These disks have sec=t0s=$12 sid=2.

After some experimenting I realized that given the rb1773 driver
cyl = 1 to $FF sid = 1 or 2 and sct=t0s=$12 are safe anything
else leads to trouble. This effectively maxes out a virtual floppy
at 2.4 MB - I did see that sct could be formatted at any where
from il to $20 where il was the interleave 3 by default but found
disks other then sct=t0s=$12 to be unreliably.

I beleave that back in the early 90 there were some systems that
let a coco use High Density ( 1.2M & 1.44M disks ) I presume they
used a different driver then rb1773 and that the hardware was different
then described by libfd502.so so would not be supported
by the emulator.

So for now I will stick with 18 track/sector single or double
sided 35($23),40($28) or 80($50) real floppy compatible images
or 256($FF) images for emulator and drive wire use only.
1024($400) images seem to be ok for rbdw3 (Drivewire) images
I am not sure what the limitations of that driver is.

Charlie