[Coco] Soldering Irons/Stations

Rick Ulland rickulland1 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 09:29:43 EDT 2020

For light (3-4 hours a week) desoldering use, I have been using a
Chinese? 'Anesty ZD915' desolder station which is about $130-$150 on
e-mazon. A little fiddly to clean, but the pump is in a box on desk
where it belongs, the gun is small and easy to live with.  A job as big
as a mobo recap is an excellent excuse to splurge on a power tool, this
is one to look at for the price.

Still rockin an old R/S solder station as my 'big iron'. It has few
skills, but does hold a set temperature. The first connection is about
the same as the 15th. After a while you've got an internal timing, not
only can you run down a chip in seconds (remember, every other pin) but
you'll just know when a board is harder to melt than usual  and needs
more heat.

Speaking of harder to melt... I am noticing it really helps to add a
little 60/40 solder to every connection before desoldering. I don't
remember that being such a big deal working on CoCos 20 years ago, but
it sure helps now!

-ricku
CoNect