[Coco] Soldering Irons/Stations

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at ramoth.org.uk
Wed Jul 1 12:07:53 EDT 2020

On 01/07/2020 00:13, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> Nathan Byrd has recommended: Hakko FX-888D

+1 for the Hakko FX888D, I've had one for about 5 years now and really
like it, gets up to temp from cold in about 20 seconds. Good selection
of tips available. However make sure to get one from an authorized
dealer as there are a lot of cheap clones that may not be of such good
quality.

For desoldering I have an Aoyue INT 2702+ station :

https://www.aoyue.eu/aoyue-int2702a-lead-free-desolder-solder-and-hot-air-repairing-system.html

This has hot air, useful for desoldering flatpacks, and for doing
heatshrink :), Desolder gun for doing PTH, and soldering iron (which I
don't use as I have the Hakko) had this about 10 years, have had to
replace the gun onec in that time and the heating element in the hot
air. Aoyue also do a just the gun version for about half the price if
you don't need the hot air.

I have several friends in another retro group (Acorn computers) who use
the Duratool station similar to this one :

https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d00672/desoldering-station-uk-eu-plug/dp/SD01384

I've also used the hand operated solder sucker in the past, but that can
be fiddly, and your thumb gets tierd :(

Still use braid for cleaning up joints & removing execess solder, e.g.
between pins on a surface mount chip.

Cheers.

Phill.

https://www.avg.com