[Coco] Is it hopeless...

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 28 06:55:41 EST 2020

On 1/28/20 1:03 AM, James Ross wrote:
> Stan Blazejewski wrote:
>> I shudder to think how long some of these messages
>> would have taken to download at 300 baud :-)
>
> Is 300 baud the same as 300 bps (bits per second)? In essence 30 bytes second?  (8 bit data bytes 2 control bits)
>
> Was 300 baud the de-facto speed back when TTY meant some mechanical typing machine? Is that why it's so slow? Surely even the very first phone lines could carry a signal much faster that 300 bps?

Actually, teletypes were even slower.  I think my old Lorenz LO-50
was 45 baud.  And, other than communication it was also my first
printer driven through the cassette port on my TRS-80.  My first
real dial-up terminal was a Portacom-110.  And yes, the 110 was
the baudrate.  My first 300 baud was a TI Silent-700.

bill