[Coco] Is it hopeless...

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Tue Jan 28 05:53:37 EST 2020

On 1/28/20 1:03 AM, James Ross wrote:
> Stan Blazejewski wrote:
>> I shudder to think how long some of these messages would have taken to download at
>> 300 baud :-)
>
> Is 300 baud the same as 300 bps (bits per second)? In essence 30 bytes second?  (8 bit
> data bytes 2 control bits)

Yes, roughly.

> Was 300 baud the de-facto speed back when TTY meant some mechanical typing machine? Is
> that why it's so slow? Surely even the very first phone lines could carry a signal much
> faster that 300 bps?

Teletype goes way back and starts with speeds of 28.8 bps (I think the 6850 can do that
speed. Newspapers used these machines to deliver stories across the world (WW I, WW II,
etc.). And they're derived from morse code. The ol' time stock tickers are baudot (the
newspapers used various formats like high and low speed tts, baudot and ASCII).

I think when the first modems were being created for microcomputers the common speeds
were 110 and 300 baud

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com