[Coco] Powering up our retro systems

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Mon Jan 27 07:48:40 EST 2020

Yes, I well know that electrolytic caps can degrade and leak over time.
I have repaired a number of devices over the years whose caps have
failed. I just think that "reforming" is more of a process reserved for
big old caps that have failed and would be difficult and/or expensive to
source replacements. For the kind of caps that we find in our Color
Computer (low voltage and relatively low capacitance), I say it's easier
to just see if they fail and replace them if they do. It is doubtful
that even a shorted cap in the Color Computer will cause any damage to
the rest of the power supply unless you're the type of person who turns
on the computer, sees that it's not working, and then decides to just
leave it powered up for a long time anyway.

Dave