[Coco] The Best quote I've seen in a while

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Feb 4 19:00:59 EST 2020

On Tuesday 04 February 2020 16:15:53 pfitchjr at bellsouth.net wrote:

> "Teaching sand to think was a mistake..."

ROTFLMAO!  And I'm inclined to agree, but our technological progress
since has been pretty close to a vertical line, and generally speaking
we are better off for it.

Actually, we did that first with glass and metal. First "computer" I ever
saw had 12,000 12AU7 vacuum tubes in it. 1954 or 55 IIRC. Tied to a
modified Harris streaming printing press, which was used to drag the
test sheets past the photocells that read the dots, it was grading the
Iowa version of the S/B IQ test. At about 4 test sheets a second.
Designed and built by the engineering school at SUI in Iowa City.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis